Monday 7 March 2016

I like farming games?! Or: How I got addicted to Stardew Valley

Games like Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing never appealed to me. My old Nintendo DS had the honours of trying out both games for a few hours and for some reason they never managed to keep my attention. I was always more of a horror and fps kind of girl.

A couple of days ago my fiancé suggested Stardew Valley - basically a mixture of Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing - to me. My initial reaction was a rather uninterested "meh". But then, I started up the game and that was it. Bye-bye free time. 
Since then, any minute I can spare is being invested in Stardew Valley. I absolutely love this game. 
Let me give you a few reasons why you might love it as well! 




Stardew Valley was developed by a single person and - oh boy - did he do a good job! The game is so in depth that I didn't even expect it. 

Apart from obviously taking care of your land by doing things like tilling the soil, spreading around the - home made - fertilizer, sowing seeds and harvesting the sweet, sweet fruits and vegetables when they have grown, there is so much more to do.

You can add buildings to your farm so you can house chickens and ducks for eggs (Hello, mayonnaise!), cows and goats for milk (Yum, cheese!) pigs for finding truffles (How luxurious!) and rabbits and sheep for wool (Nice, warm and soft fabric for the next fashion week!). 
Obviously you have to get all materials like wood, stone and ores for buildings yourself, duh! That might sound boring, but it really isn't. For some reason chopping down trees and hacking away at stones doesn't feel like a chore, but utterly satisfying when you hear the nice chopping sounds and then see all the items drop.

The mines don't only offer the chance to get stone, ores, valuable gemstones and rare item drops needed to craft items, but also offer the chance to fight little but ferocious critters like slime monsters! 

If you like, you can build up friendships with the other village inhabitants or even find a boyfriend/girlfriend to move in with you and later even have children, simply by finding out what they like and giving them gifts according to their own taste. It's nice to see that same gender relationships are possible as well. 

Then of course, you have the task to rebuild the abandoned Community Center by giving donations to the forest sprites. Hell, you can even go fishing if you want to pass time or foraging around town for free items to use or sell.

I am sure I have forgotten a bunch of awesome features of Stardew Valley (Did I mention you can get a dog or cat?! To love you forever??!?!!). 

But I think you get my point:
Even if you are usually not into this kind of game, it's worth giving Stardew Valley a chance. 

Believe me, it even changed my own mind and has now developed into what seems to quickly become one of my most favourite games of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment